About Us FAQs on Overseas Citizenship of India

Frequently Answered Questions for OCI

1. How long does it take to process the OCI?

The processing time for OCI applications is usually between 8-10 weeks after a completed application is sent to the Consulate.

Below are the steps for OCI application


Detailed Steps

Avg. Processing Time


Processing at VFS Global

  • VFS Global receives the application
  • Application is scrutinized per guidelines received from Consulate
  • Application is Submitted to Consulate



business days


Processing at Mission / New Delhi

  • Application is processed at Consulate
  • Notification is sent to New Delhi
  • Application is processed in New Delhi
  • Cards are printed in New Delhi & sent to local Consulate



8-10 weeks


Match-up Process

  • VFS Global is informed about the same; VFS Global sends notification to Applicant to send passport for match-up
  • VFS Global receives the passport
  • Passport is scrutinized per guidelines received from Consulate
  • Passport is Submitted to Consulate
  • ‘U’ Visa sticker is put in the passport and OCI card and passport are returned to VFS Global
  • VFS Global dispatches the OCI card and passport to Applicant




business days


2. Can I collect my passport from India Visa camp?

No. India Visa camps are organized to assist applicants in the submission process. We do not store passports here. For applications submitted to the India visa camp, the mode of return of passport after visa processing is by courier only.

3. How will I be informed of the status of my application?

You can track your status on the VFS Global website https://visa.vfsglobal.com/usa/en/ind . VFS Global will send emails to you at every stage of your application on the email ID which you have mentioned on your application form.

4. Will my renunciation documents come back before my OCI Card?

If you submitted your Application for Renunciation of Indian Citizenship along with your OCI application then your Renunciation documents will come along with your OCI Card.

5. Why do I need to pay for penalty when I did not know that I need to do renunciation and I never used my Indian passport after I became US citizen?

The Indian Citizenship Act does not allow dual citizenship. If you ever held an Indian passport and if you acquire a citizenship of another country (such as the U.S. citizenship), you need to surrender your Indian passport immediately after you acquire foreign nationality.

The Indian government has observed that, even after acquiring foreign nationality, some people continue to retain their Indian passports and some even use them to travel and some people even renew them or avail of miscellaneous services for their Indian passport. Once you acquire the citizenship of another country, it is illegal to travel on the Indian passport. As India does not allow dual citizenship, holding a non-cancelled Indian passport after acquiring a foreign citizenship is an offense with penalties.

6. Do I need to apply for OCI Re-issue when I get a new passport?

Applicants are required to reapply for OCI Re-issue when they get a new passport per the below guidelines.

  • For an applicant who is 20 years of age or younger, OCI documents must be re-issued each time a new passport is issued.
  • For an applicant who is 50 years of age or older, OCI documents must be re-issued once after the issuance of a new passport. If the OCI card is issued for the first time after the age of 50 years, then there is no need for re-issuance of OCI.
  • For an applicant who is 21 to 49 years of age, there is no need to re-issue OCI documents each time a new passport is issued. However, if the applicant desires, he/she can request that the OCI documents be re-issued so that the OCI documents reflect the correct passport number.


7. Why do you require Copy of Naturalization Certificate? My passport should be sufficient.

Copy of Naturalization Certificate is very important to be able to process your OCI application. However, in some circumstances, Consulate may dispose of this requirement on a case to case basis.

8. What proof of Indian Origin can I provide if I don’t have my Indian Passport?

If you do not have a copy of your Indian passport, you can provide

At least 2 different documents that provide sufficient evidence that the applicant has held Indian Citizenship like:

  • Any other proof substantiating the request. Usually applicants are able to submit a certificate of residence or place of birth of self / parents / grandparents from First Class Magistrate / District Magistrate (DM) of the concerned place.


  • Notarized copy of educational certificate issued by an institution of India and land ownership certificate by which eligibility may be reasonably ascertained


  • A duly notarized affidavit to that effect - Any notarized affidavit of birth in rupee paper is not acceptable as proof of Indian Origin. The proof must be copy of actual Indian Birth Certificate.


  • A copy of an Ancestral Nativity Certificate issued by an Indian official or magistrate with sufficient authority to confirm Indian Origin of the applicant.

The decision to whether accept this type of document as proof of Indian Citizenship will be made by the Embassy/Consular Officer and will be FINAL in such cases. For more details visit the https://visa.vfsglobal.com/usa/en/ind website.

9. Why do I need to renounce when I was already issued an OCI / PIO card?

Proof of Renunciation of Indian Citizenship is required along with your Visa / OCI application if you ever held an Indian Passport.  If you do not have proof of Renunciation (either a Renunciation Certificate or Cancelled Stamp due to acquisition of Foreign Nationality), you will have to apply for the same before you can get your Visa / OCI card application sent to the Consulate.

10. How long does it take to process visa when you apply in person/Individual through visa camp?

Turnaround times are more or less the same if you submit your application at our application centre in person, through post, through a travel agency or through VFS Global India visa camp. Applications are sent from the camp to our San Francisco centre, processed in our system and sent to the Consulate in the order in which they were received.


11. If I have my copy of renunciation certificate or Indian passport with stamped as “cancelled for acquisition of foreign nationality”, why do I have to include a copy of my naturalization certificate?

Such requirements have been done away with. You don't need to submit naturalization certificate.

12. In lieu of my naturalization certificate, e.g. lost/misplaced naturalization certificate, what document can I submit?

In lieu of naturalization certificate being lost/misplaced is the applicants need to provide a copy of their Indian passport as well as an affidavit of loss for the naturalization certificate. They also need to provide a receipt showing they have applied for a new naturalization certificate.

13. If I do not have my own naturalization certificate since I was naturalized as US citizen through my parent/s, what document should I submit?

If gained naturalization through his/her parents and possesses no separate naturalization certificate, then copies of the parents naturalization certificates or copies of parents' Indian passports and a Notarized statement signed by BOTH parents is required stating the circumstances that their child received his/her naturalization status and why the child does not possess his/her own certificate.

14. What proof of address can I supply if I do not have utility bills under my name?

For Adults

You can include any state issued ID like a driving license that has your name and your present address.

If you do not have a state issued ID either, then you can include any of the below documentation as proof of address

  • Marriage Certificate – If proof of address is in spouse’s name
  • Birth Certificate of Child – If applicant is elderly and staying with his/ her children  

Please note that the decision to whether accept this type of document as proof of Indian Citizenship will be made by the Embassy/Consulate Officer and will be FINAL in such cases

For Minors

Proof of Address of parents is accepted as proof for Minors application.

15.     What is the additional documentation required in case of OCI/PIO/Visa obtained by applicant by virtue of being a spouse of an eligible person of Indian origin?

In case of OCI/PIO/Visa obtained by applicant by virtue of being a spouse of an eligible person of Indian origin, the applicant must submit a declaration by the spouse stating that he/she has no objection for issuance of OCI/PIO card/visa. In the   event of a divorce/separation between the two persons who obtained the OCI/PIO/Visa documents from the Indian Consulate, the OCI/PIO cards will be required to be surrendered. It is the duty of the applicants to report and inform such events to the Consulate General of India, San Francisco for further necessary action as per Government of India rules and regulations. Failure to disclose divorce/separation of the eligible spouse as mentioned above may result in disqualification of the spouse of Indian origin from holding OCI/PIO cards.




     OCI Adult (Born in India)

  OCI Adult (Born in USA)

  OCI Re-Issue (New   Passport)

OCI Minor (Born in USA)

  1. - Application form

2) - Additional Particular Form

 1) - Application form

 2)  - Additional Particular Form

1) - OCI Misc. Application Form

2) -  Additional Particular Form

1) - Application Form

2) -  Additional Particular Form

3) - Parental Authorization Form


3) Copy of US Passport

3) Copy of US Passport

3) Copy of New Passport

4) Copy of US Passport

4) 1 Passport Photo

 - 2’’x2’’

 - White Background

4) 1 Passport Photo

- 2’’x2’’

- White Background

4) 1 Passport Photo

- 2’’x2’’

- White Background

5) 1 Passport Photo

- 2’’x2’’

- White Background

5) Copy Naturalization Certificate

5) Copy of Birth Certificate

5) Original + Copy OCI card

6) Copy of Non-Indian Birth Certificate

Or Naturalization Certificate of parents and NOTARIZED Statement of Naturalization

6) Proof of Indian Origin


- Indian Passport

Or BOTH of the documents below

- Indian Birth Certificate

- School Leaving Certificate

6) Parents’ Proof of Indian origin


- Copy of Parent’s Indian Passport

Or BOTH of the documents below

- Birth certificate

- School Leaving Certificate

6) Original + Copy of Expired US Passport

7) Copy of Parent’s Indian passport or OCI card


8) Parent’s proof of Renunciation


-Copy of cancelled Indian Passport

-Renunciation certificate

7) Proof of Renunciation


- Copy of cancelled Indian Passport

- Renunciation certificate

7) Copy of Proof of Address.

- State ID

- Major Utility Bills Only (Gas, Water, Electric, Waste)


8) US Passports Copies

9) Parents’ Naturalization Certificates

7)  Copy of U-Visa Page

9) Copy of Parent’s Naturalization Certificate

10)  US passport copies

8) Copy of Proof of Address

- State ID

- Major Utility Bills Only (Gas, Water, Electric, Waste)


8)Copy Proof of Address

9) Copy of Naturalization Certificate

10) Proof of Renunciation

If applicable all of the ff:

11) Copy of parents Indian Passport

12) copy of parents US passports

13) Copy of parents Naturalization Certificates, US Visa

14) Copy Parents Proof of Renunciation

11) Copy of Parent’s US Visa

12)  Parent’s  Copy of Proof of  Address























OCI card for Minors with Parents who are Indian Citizens


Fee for PIO to OCI Card conversion - $275.00



  1. - Application form

       2)   Additional Particular   Form


1)- Application Form

 2) - Additional Particular Form

3) - Parental Authorization Form


4) Copy of US Passport

2) Copy of US Passport

5) 1 Passport Photo

 - 2’’x2’’

 - White Background

3) 1 Passport Photo

- 2’’x2’’

- White Background

6) Copy of Naturalization Certificate

4) Copy of Birth Certificate

7) Original PIO Card along with a copy of the same.

8) Copy of Indian Passport

5) Parent’s Valid Indian Passport

9) Proof of Renunciation


- Copy of cancelled Indian Passport

- Renunciation certificate

6) Copy of Parents’ Valid Visa.

If applicable:

7) Copy of parents US Passport

8)Copy of parents Naturalization Certificate

9) Copy of Parents Proof of Renunciation

10)  Copy Proof of Address


10) Copy of Parents’ proof of Address





  • ALL of the information on your application form must match the information found in your passport exactly. Verify that there are no typos or missing information.


  • Applicants who hold multiple passports/nationalities (excluding Pakistani passport holders), must apply with US passport.


  • Applicants 18+ years-old, the proof of address must be in the applicant’s name. No exceptions. Acceptable proofs of address include a Driver’s License, State ID OR utilities: natural gas, electric, water, sewage. Also, maintenance bill, heating and oil, mortgage statements, or a valid lease agreement that has not expired and is signed by both the tenant and landlord. The Address proof must match the address on the application.

The following will NOT be accepted: cell phone bill, cable or land line phone bills, credit card/ bank statements, insurance forms, tax forms, pay stubs and the address cannot include a PO Box.


The signature of both parents and legal guardians on the 2nd page of minor’s application should match the signature in the passport. Significant variations in the signature provided may result in a rejection from the consulate even if there is a notary stamp. If only the mother’s maiden name appears on the minor’s birth certificate and it is different than the name on the mother’s passport, a proof of the name change is required.


It is a requirement of the Indian government that if you do not have PROOF of your renunciation, (Copy of renunciation certificate stamped and signed by the consulate general of India and a copy of the naturalization certificate).
For Visa: Please apply for Renunciation Certificate along with Visa application.
For OCI: Please apply for and obtain Renunciation Certificate before applying for OCI card.