About Us FAQ's on Renunciation


Q: What is a Renunciation/Surrender Certificate?

A: Renunciation/Surrender Certificate is issued to applicants who surrender their Indian passport after acquiring foreign nationality.

Q: How to apply for Renunciation/Surrender of Indian Citizenship Certificate?

A: Please follow below steps for Renunciation application:

1. Visit VFS Global website: https://services.vfsglobal.com/usa/en/ind/apply-for-renunciation and fill online Renunciation application.

To know the document checklist & fee amount to apply for renunciation, refer to https://www.vfsglobal.com/one-pager/india/united-states-of-america/renunciation-of-indian-citizenship/

The documents checklist is as per the guidelines from Govt. of India and this requirement cannot be waived off.

2. Submit physical copy of application along with required documents and fee to VFS center by Walk-in (with appointment only) or Mail/Post:

VFS Global
642 Harrison Street, Suite 200, San Francisco, CA 94107.

Processing Time at the Consulate: If everything is in order (i.e documentation etc.) it will take 15 working days (excluding VFS mailing time).

 Q: What is the difference between Surrender Certificate & Renunciation Certificate?

A:   Both are same.

Once you acquire foreign citizenship you have to surrender your last held Indian passport to Indian Consulate for cancellation. Consulate will cancel and return it to you along with a Renunciation/Surrender Certificate.

Q:When I register with VFS Global for renunciation, it asks for “Government Reference Number “(ARN). How do I get the ARN?

A:  To get the ARN, applicants must first fill the online govt. application form on the Passport Seva website.

Please follow the STEP 2 on the VFS website: https://services.vfsglobal.com/usa/en/ind/apply-for-renunciation .

Once you login to Passport Seva, select "surrender of Indian passport" and fill in the govt. application form. After you fill and submit the application, please note the ARN number (Application Reference Number), print it.

Return to the STEP 3 in the VFS Website (https://visa.vfsglobal.com/usa/en/ind/apply-for-renunciation) to proceed with the subsequent steps to complete the application payment and onward submission process.

 Note: Filling or submitting online form on the Govt. website does not complete the process, you will have to submit the physical application to the VFS India Consular Application Centre.

Q: I want to apply for Renunciation of Indian Citizenship but I lost my Indian passport and do not have the Indian Passport details. But when I go to Passport Seva to apply for Surrender of Indian Passport, I am asked for Indian passport number (which I don’t have). How do I proceed?

A: For renunciation services, please refer to step-by-step guide (step 1 to 6) https://visa.vfsglobal.com/usa/en/ind/apply-for-renunciation

First you must fill the online govt. application form on Passport Seva (STEP 2 in the above link).

If you do not have your Indian passport details, you can apply for renunciation without passport under lost passport category. You may enter the passport number as LOST or 00000

To know the document checklist to apply for renunciation, refer to https://www.vfsglobal.com/one-pager/india/united-states-of-america/renunciation-of-indian-citizenship/

Q: I applied for renunciation through CKGS. But I lost the renunciation certificate. Can I get a copy of the same?

A: Before November 2020, the Consulate only maintained record of the surrendered Indian passport but we do not keep the copies of granted renunciation certificates.

 If the applicant lost/misplaced the renunciation/surrender certificate, they must reapply for renunciation through VFS. Follow this link and apply for a renunciation/surrender certificate https://visa.vfsglobal.com/usa/en/ind/apply-for-renunciation

 Q: What proof of Indian Origin can I provide if I don’t have my Indian Passport?

 A: If you do not possess a copy of the Indian Passport, you can provide any 2 documents from the below list

  • Copy of the Election Card/ Voter ID
  • Copy of Board Certificate (SSC) or higher level
  • Copy of Birth Certificate
  • Copy of parent’s proof of Indian origin (parent’s Indian passport copy /parent’s Birth Certificate copy)

The decision to whether accept this type of document as proof of Indian Citizenship will be made by the Embassy/Consular Officer and will be final in such cases. For more details visit the VFS Global website.

Q: What is the grace period available for obtaining renunciation certificate after acquiring foreign citizenship?

A: A person of Indian origin can obtain Renunciation Certificate within 3 months of acquisition of foreign citizenship.

Q: I recently became a US Citizen through Naturalization. I do not have a US passport. Can I apply for Renunciation before I get my US passport? I do have the Naturalization Certificate. I want to do this, so I can get started on the OCI as soon as possible

A: A copy of your US passport is one of the mandatory documents while applying for renunciation. Also, while filling the online govt. application form, you are required to provide your US Passport number. Consulate cannot accept your renunciation application without a copy of US passport. Applicants can apply for renunciation as soon as they receive the US Passport.



  • ALL of the information on your application form must match the information on your passport exactly. Verify that there are no typos or missing information.

          Applicants may also refer to FAQs available on VFS website: https://services.vfsglobal.com/usa/en/ind/faq

Consular Services